Most Active Stories
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — The Shape We're In Now
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — How We Got This Way: The Mississippi River
- Bring Your Own Presents: 'Virginia'
- Dirty Diapers Pile Up In Portland Recycling Bins: 'It's Not Pretty'
- As With Dalai Lama Today, Pope's Visit To New Orleans 25 Years Ago Came Amid Violence
Sun July 8, 2012
Alex Boyd brings 'blue-eyed' soul to Essence
He has danced with Debbie Allen, acted alongside Bruce Willis, blended his voice with Patti Labelle's and even dabbled with opera.
But Alex Boyd's true calling has always been classic, old-school soul — despite being one of only a handful of white performers in the genre.
Boyd says he was "over the moon" about his closing night debut performance on Sunday at the Essence Music Festival.
The 27-year-old, who grew up in northern Virginia, says he has always been drawn to soul music and he hopes his music with the festival's unfamiliar crowd. He says he has no expectations, other than having a good time sharing good music.
Mary J. Blige and Kevin Hart are among the festival's Saturday night headliners.