Most Active Stories
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — The Shape We're In Now
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — How We Got This Way: The Mississippi River
- Bring Your Own Presents: 'Virginia'
- Dirty Diapers Pile Up In Portland Recycling Bins: 'It's Not Pretty'
- As With Dalai Lama Today, Pope's Visit To New Orleans 25 Years Ago Came Amid Violence
Wed July 13, 2011
Bastille Day Celebration
SAVORY PAIN PERDU (Serves 4)
8 SLICES OF FRENCH BREAD,
SLICED 1 1/2 INCH THICK
1 1/2 CUPS OF MILK
1 TABLESPOON HOT SAUCE (OR TO TASTE)
8 OZ. HERBED SOFT CHEESE (GOAT, FARMER'S OR SEASONED CREAM CHEESE COMBINED WITH FRESH HERBS OF CHOICE)
4 TBS BUTTER
Cut a pocket, from the side, into the center of each piece of French bread. Divide the cheese into 1/8ths and insert one piece into each slice of bread.
Whisk together the milk, eggs and hot sauce. Briefly, soak each piece of stuffed bread in the milk mixture.
Melt the butter in a 10 inch skillet and when large bubbles foam, add the stuffed French bread pieces, browning lightly on each side.
Serve with chutney or a pickled vegetable relish.
We'd love to hear from you! Email us!