Most Active Stories
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — The Shape We're In Now
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — How We Got This Way: The Mississippi River
- Bring Your Own Presents: 'Virginia'
- Dirty Diapers Pile Up In Portland Recycling Bins: 'It's Not Pretty'
- As With Dalai Lama Today, Pope's Visit To New Orleans 25 Years Ago Came Amid Violence
WWNO News Reports
Sun October 11, 2009
City Vows to Defend VA-LSU Hospital Plan
By Eileen Fleming
New Orleans, La. – An attorney representing residents opposed to the proposed hospital complex says Mayor Ray Nagin violated the City Charter in a deal that hands over 34 acres to the VA. Thomas Milliner told residents that he's confident his argument that Nagin circumvented required public hearings will prevail.
City Attorney Penya Moses-Fields said in a prepared statement that there has been extensive public participation. She added that the plaintiffs are seeking only a delay in what the city considers its most important public health initiative since Hurricane Katrina. The case will be heard October 23rd in Civil District Court.