Most Active Stories
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — The Shape We're In Now
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — How We Got This Way: The Mississippi River
- Bring Your Own Presents: 'Virginia'
- Dirty Diapers Pile Up In Portland Recycling Bins: 'It's Not Pretty'
- As With Dalai Lama Today, Pope's Visit To New Orleans 25 Years Ago Came Amid Violence
WWNO News Reports
Wed September 16, 2009
Common Ground Relief Starts Housing Program
By Eileen Fleming
New Orleans, La. – Common Ground Relief began with volunteers handing out food and water. Services have expanded to conservation projects, legal assistance and job training. Now it's going into house construction.
Operations Manager Thom Pepper says Common Ground Relief is getting building permits this week to put a model home next to its headquarters in the Lower Ninth Ward. And like the neighboring Make it Right project, the houses will highlight energy efficiency, and use local labor.
Common Ground Relief has building plans for traditional New Orleans architecture. It's hoped they'll be used throughout the region - not just the Lower Ninth Ward.
The model home is expected to be open before the end of this year.