Most Active Stories
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — The Shape We're In Now
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — How We Got This Way: The Mississippi River
- Bring Your Own Presents: 'Virginia'
- Dirty Diapers Pile Up In Portland Recycling Bins: 'It's Not Pretty'
- As With Dalai Lama Today, Pope's Visit To New Orleans 25 Years Ago Came Amid Violence
WWNO News Reports
Wed October 5, 2011
Former New Orleans Cop Appeals Danziger Sentence
By Eileen Fleming
New Orleans, LA – Former officer Michael Hunter drove a rental truck carrying officers responding to a call of police in danger at the Danziger Bridge. Two men were killed and four others wounded when police opened fire on unarmed civilians. Hunter pleaded guilty to conspiracy in a civil rights case that resulted in five convictions for his former colleagues. He's begun serving an eight-year sentence. The Justice Department is recommending it be cut to five.
For WWNO, I'm Eileen Fleming.