Most Active Stories
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — The Shape We're In Now
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — How We Got This Way: The Mississippi River
- Bring Your Own Presents: 'Virginia'
- Dirty Diapers Pile Up In Portland Recycling Bins: 'It's Not Pretty'
- As With Dalai Lama Today, Pope's Visit To New Orleans 25 Years Ago Came Amid Violence
Thu October 25, 2012
Lewis Nash Quintet, Kurt Elling On JazzSet
Originally published on Wed December 12, 2012 3:17 pm
There are three stages at the Newport Jazz Festival. At least two are always running simultaneously. Given the surfeit of options, it's rare to hear a complete set. The question begins to nag: Should be we somewhere else? And away you go, leaving a work in progress to make sure you don't miss one getting underway.
But sometimes if you choose a spot on the lawn and stay put, the juxtaposition of two bands delivers a fine festival experience. Sunday morning, August 5, on the Quad Stage is such a time.
Back-to-back, we hear the Lewis Nash Quintet and the nine-time Grammy nominee Kurt Elling, here to introduce his 2012 album 1619 Broadway:The Brill Building Project. The album was named for a New York address for songwriters from Duke Ellington to Paul Simon.
Nash Set List
- "Teddy" (Bobby Hutcherson)
- "Arioso" (James Williams)
- "Ain't That Peculiar" (Smokey Robinson)
Elling Set List
- "Come Fly With Me" (Sammy Cahn & Jimmy Van Heusen)
- "Dedicated To You" (Saul Chaplin, Sammy Chan & Hy Zaret)
- "On Broadway" (Jerry Lieber, Barry Mann & Cynthia Weil)
- "The Waking" (Theodore Roethke)
- "Golden Lady" (Stevie Wonder)
Recording and Surround Sound mixes by Antonio Oliart.