Most Active Stories
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — The Shape We're In Now
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — How We Got This Way: The Mississippi River
- Bring Your Own Presents: 'Virginia'
- Dirty Diapers Pile Up In Portland Recycling Bins: 'It's Not Pretty'
- As With Dalai Lama Today, Pope's Visit To New Orleans 25 Years Ago Came Amid Violence
Wed February 9, 2011
Love At First Bite
Chocolate Truffles (Yields 30)
1/3 cup heavy cream
6 Tablespoons unsalted butter
2 cups bittersweet chocolate chips
1/3 cup cocoa powder (or combination of other powdered ingredients) for dusting
In a heavy saucepan, bring the cream to a simmer over a medium heat. Add the butter by the tablespoonful, stirring until melted. Add the chocolate chips and stir until completely melted and smooth. Pour mixture into a bowl. Add 1/4 cup any flavoring ingredients such as finely diced dried or candied fruit and/or 2 tablespoons of liquor. Cool to room temperature, then cover and refrigerate till firm. (At least 2 hours).
With a melon baller or a small scoop, take pieces of the mixture and roll into small balls. Roll in straight cocoa powder, confectioner's sugar or finely chopped nuts. If desired, add cayenne pepper, coarse sea salt or other powdered ingredients to the cocoa for flavor.
Store refrigerated for up to two weeks.