Most Active Stories
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — The Shape We're In Now
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — How We Got This Way: The Mississippi River
- Bring Your Own Presents: 'Virginia'
- Dirty Diapers Pile Up In Portland Recycling Bins: 'It's Not Pretty'
- As With Dalai Lama Today, Pope's Visit To New Orleans 25 Years Ago Came Amid Violence
London 2012: The Summer Olympics
Wed August 8, 2012
One Benefit Of Hosting The Olympics? More Medals
Originally published on Wed August 8, 2012 5:15 pm
Great Britain has been raking in the medals at this summer's Olympics. Researcher Nigel Balmer of University College London says that's no coincidence. Balmer and his colleagues tracked Olympic medal counts going back to World War II and found that the host country routinely experiences a spike in the number of gold, silver and bronze medals its athletes take home. Audie Cornish talks to him about why that is.