Most Active Stories
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — The Shape We're In Now
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — How We Got This Way: The Mississippi River
- Bring Your Own Presents: 'Virginia'
- Dirty Diapers Pile Up In Portland Recycling Bins: 'It's Not Pretty'
- As With Dalai Lama Today, Pope's Visit To New Orleans 25 Years Ago Came Amid Violence
Wed February 16, 2011
Peeling Apart the Segregated Past
From Woodstoves to Microwaves
2 tablespoons cooking oil
1 large onion, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tablespoons green pepper, minced
1 tablespoon flour
1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
1 1/2 to 2 cans water
Pinch of thyme
2 tablespoons parsley
2 pounds shrimp, cleaned
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
Heat oil over medium heat; add onion and cook until soft (about 6 to 8 minutes). Stir in garlic and green pepper; saut for 2 minutes. Blend in flour. Add sauce and simmer 5 minutes. Stir in water, thyme, parsley, shrimp, salt, pepper and cayenne. Cover and simmer 30 minutes. Serve over rice. Yield 4 servings
To order your own copy of From Woodstoves to Microwaves, call the United Way Agency of New Orleans, 504-827-6872.