Most Active Stories
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — The Shape We're In Now
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — How We Got This Way: The Mississippi River
- Bring Your Own Presents: 'Virginia'
- Dirty Diapers Pile Up In Portland Recycling Bins: 'It's Not Pretty'
- As With Dalai Lama Today, Pope's Visit To New Orleans 25 Years Ago Came Amid Violence
Mon March 11, 2013
Planet Money: Into The Future
Originally published on Fri March 8, 2013 3:18 pm
On today's show: Three stories about the tricky path from the present to the future.
Sales Are Like Drugs. What Happens When A Store Wants Customers To Quit? J.C. Penney's new CEO came in with a bold strategy: No more sales or coupons. It didn't work.
Should The U.S. Import More Doctors? "We should think of doctors the same way we think of shirts," an economist says. "If we can get doctors at a lower cost from elsewhere in the world then we could save enormous amounts of money."
If A Driverless Car Crashes, Who's Liable? Technology isn't the only hurdle for computer-driven cars.
Music: Steve Miller Band's "Fly Like an Eagle", Pet Shop Boys "Shopping", Paramore's "Now", and The Black Eyed Peas "Boom Boom Pow," Find us: Twitter/ Facebook/ Spotify/ Tumblr. Download the Planet MoneyiPhone App.