This week on The Reading Life: Susan talks with Julia Reed, author of “South Toward Home: Adventures and Misadventures in My Native Land.” It's full of tales of critters, cuisine, and plain old fun!
August 12 calendar
Here’s what’s on tap in the literary life this week:
- Dogfish presents Nordette Adams and FreeQuency reading their work Thursday, August 16, at 7 p.m. at 2448 N. Villere.
- Four local poets – Anne Babson, author of “Polite Occasions,” Gina Ferrara, author of “Fitting the Sixth Finger,” Valentine Pierce, author of “Up Decatur,” and Cassie Pruyn, author of “Lena” – read and discuss their work Thursday, August 16, at 7 p.m. at the East Bank Regional Library, 4747 W. Napoleon, Metairie.
- The Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror Writers Group meets Thursday, August 16, at 7 at the East Bank Regional Library in Metairie.
- The South Louisiana Chapter of the Romance Writers of America meets Saturday, August 18, at 10 a.m. at the East Bank Regional Library in Metairie.
- Julia Reed signs “South Toward Home: Adventures and Misadventures in My Native Land,” Tuesday, August 21, at 6 at Garden District Book Shop.
- The Great Books Discussion group discusses “Travels with Charley,” by John Steinbeck, Tuesday, August 21, at 7 p.n. at the East Bank Regional Library in Metairie.
- Anne Boyd Rioux signs “Meg, Jo, Beth and Amy: The Story of Little Women and Why It Still Matters,” Friday, August 24, at 6 p.m. at Latter Library.
- The East Bank Regional Library presents A Self-Publishing Seminar for Authors Saturday, August 5 from 9:30-4 at the East Bank Regional Library in Metairie. There will be a webinar to talk about Pressbooks, Self-e, and Biblioboard at 9:30, followed by a talk by Gary Michael Smith on Design at 11. Chere Coen talks about Creating and Self-Publishing an eBook at noon. Then at 1, Kirsten Corby talks about The Decision to Self-Publish, followed by B.J. Bourg at 2 with an Introduction to Bookbub. Chris Smith closes it all out with a talk at 3 on Working with Libraries. If you’ve been thinking of self-publishing your book, here’s a great place to go for guidance.