Most Active Stories
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — The Shape We're In Now
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — How We Got This Way: The Mississippi River
- Bring Your Own Presents: 'Virginia'
- Dirty Diapers Pile Up In Portland Recycling Bins: 'It's Not Pretty'
- As With Dalai Lama Today, Pope's Visit To New Orleans 25 Years Ago Came Amid Violence
Sat October 9, 2010
New Orleans, LA –
Hi, this is Richard McCarthy with the WWNO Farmers Market Minute Kurt Unkel is a rock star of sorts, in the rice world. A third-generation rice farmer of Kinder, LA, The New York Times discovered him earlier this year. Since then, he has been in high demand. Have you seen him or one of his team selling his special brown jasmine rice at farmers markets? You'll know it by sight: It contains the wild red rice - commonly known as a weed - in the mix. It's chewy and almost sweet to taste. Committed to fitness and good nutrition, Kurt thinks we should be eating rice morning, noon and night. For breakfast, he recommends grinding the rice in a home coffee grinder to cook with oatmeal, flax and all sorts of seeds, honey and milk. Doesn't that sound good? What did you have breakfast? It should have been rice from Kinder, Louisiana. For the WWNO farmers market minute, this is Richard McCarthy.