Most Active Stories
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — The Shape We're In Now
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — How We Got This Way: The Mississippi River
- Bring Your Own Presents: 'Virginia'
- Dirty Diapers Pile Up In Portland Recycling Bins: 'It's Not Pretty'
- As With Dalai Lama Today, Pope's Visit To New Orleans 25 Years Ago Came Amid Violence
Fri August 28, 2009
Reinventing the habitual ritual of neighborhood markets
New Orleans, LA – In 1995, marketumbrella.org reinvented tradition by inviting farmers and fishers back to the center of New Orleans to sell the fruits of their labors in a recurrent public setting. In the Katrina recovery years, the further proliferation of public markets has been among the authentic expressions of neighborhood resilience in a recovery that has put many residents' backs to the wall.