Most Active Stories
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — The Shape We're In Now
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — How We Got This Way: The Mississippi River
- Bring Your Own Presents: 'Virginia'
- Dirty Diapers Pile Up In Portland Recycling Bins: 'It's Not Pretty'
- As With Dalai Lama Today, Pope's Visit To New Orleans 25 Years Ago Came Amid Violence
Wed September 26, 2012
School board members recommend Isaac repairs
Tangipahoa Parish School Board members have recommended $220,000 in repairs to school buildings damaged by Hurricane Isaac.
The Advocate reports Loranger High School's gym and the main building at Chesbrough Elementary in Kentwood both require new roofs, at projected costs of $145,000 and $74,000, respectively.
The repairs to Loranger High's gym roof will have to be approved by U.S. District Judge Ivan L.R. Lemelle, who oversees the parish's 47-year-old desegregation case. A standing order in the suit requires court approval for all non-priority repair costs over $125,000.
Chief Financial Officer Bret Schnadelbach said Tuesday the roofing projects will be paid out of the district's roofing fund, pending reimbursement by insurance or the Federal Emergency Management Agency.