Most Active Stories
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — The Shape We're In Now
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — How We Got This Way: The Mississippi River
- Bring Your Own Presents: 'Virginia'
- Dirty Diapers Pile Up In Portland Recycling Bins: 'It's Not Pretty'
- As With Dalai Lama Today, Pope's Visit To New Orleans 25 Years Ago Came Amid Violence
Mon January 28, 2013
Slain La. Police Officer Identified
Authorities have released the names of the Chitimacha tribal police officer who was killed and the two sheriff's deputies who were wounded Saturday in shootings near a south Louisiana casino.
The slain officer, Sgt. Rick Riggenbach, was a four-year veteran of the tribal police department who also served 10 years as a St. Mary Parish sheriff's deputy. At a press briefing Monday, a Louisiana State Police spokesman called Riggenbach a hero whose actions prevented other people from being hurt.
St. Mary Parish Sheriff Mark Hebert said his two wounded deputies, 23-year-old Jason Javier and 24-year-old Matthew Strickland, "seem to be recovering well."
Wilbert Thibodeaux, of Charenton, was arrested on murder charges for allegedly gunning down an elderly man and setting fire to a mobile home before shooting the officers.