Most Active Stories
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — The Shape We're In Now
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — How We Got This Way: The Mississippi River
- Bring Your Own Presents: 'Virginia'
- Dirty Diapers Pile Up In Portland Recycling Bins: 'It's Not Pretty'
- As With Dalai Lama Today, Pope's Visit To New Orleans 25 Years Ago Came Amid Violence
Wed November 17, 2010
Urban Chickens & Restaurants of the Past
Cheese Pumpkin Jam (Yields approximately 3 cups)
1 small cheese pumpkin (or other dense variety)
6 cups sugar
8 cups water
Peel the pumpkin, scoop out the seeds and the stringy membrane that holds them in. Cut into 1 inch sized cubes. In a large, heavy pot add 1 cups of sugar and 2 cups of water for each 4 cups of pumpkin. When the sugar is dissolved, add the pumpkin, bring to a boil and then reduce to a low simmer. Cook uncovered until the liquid has dissolved and the pumpkin is reduced to jam.
The jam will keep in the refrigerator for a week. To store longer, freeze until ready to use.