Environmental activist Erin Brockovich says Assumption Parish residents whose homes are threatened by a huge sinkhole should sue the owners of a failed salt dome cavern believed to have caused the sinkhole.
The Advocate reports that Brockovich told Bayou Corne residents at a meeting in Pierre Part that legal action is their only chance of relief.
About 350 people have been evacuated since early August, when the sinkhole appeared. It has kept growing since then.
Originally published on Tue February 19, 2013 5:35 pm
It’s been 200 days since a sinkhole forced residents of Bayou Corne to evacuate their homes.
Homeowners are fed up. Some testified at a Joint Committee meeting Tuesday at the Capitol. Some are calling for Texas Brine – the company responsible for the failed salt-mining cavern that allegedly caused the sinkhole – to buy out their properties.
The Louisiana Office of Conservation has modified orders requiring Texas Brine Co. LLC to assess the status of sediments under an 8.5-acre sinkhole in northern Assumption Parish, prompting the company to withdraw a lawsuit filed last month against the state.
Officials say tremors recorded in Assumption Parish since late May could be why a brine cavern encased within the Napoleonville salt dome failed and caused a massive sinkhole.
Texas Brine Co. spokesman Sonny Cranch said Tuesday a tool used to measure the depth of the cavern bottomed out 1,300 feet higher than anticipated. Cranch said the presence of this material indicates the cavern failed.