Frequently Asked Questions about membership, individual, and other ways to support New Orleans Public Radio
New Question Just In: I take the standard deduction when I file my income tax return. Can I get a tax deduction without itemizing?
Yes you can in 2020!
Under the new CARES Act, an individual taxpayer can donate up to a total of $300 in 2020 to a qualified non-profit organization(s) and deduct that amount from his/her Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) on Form 1040. Taxpayers who file jointly, such as most married couples, can donate up to $600 and deduct from their AGI. Taxpayers do not have to itemize deductions on Schedule A to take this charitable gift deduction.
There are some restrictions; consult your tax advisor for all the details. For most of us, however, this is a financially painless way to support public radio in 2020.
1. How can I donate to New Orleans Public Radio?
- Online donation form (secure and easy): wwno.org/donate
- By phone: 844-790-1094 any time; or 504-280-7002 M-F 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
- By mail: Attn: WWNO Membership, University of New Orleans, 2000 Lakeshore Drive New Orleans, LA 70148 (Please make checks payable to WWNO)
- Vehicle donations: Begin the online process here; or call 855-280-WWNO (855-280-9966)
- Other ways to give: More information about donating stock can be found here; more information about donating via IRA Charitable Rollover can be found here. Or call/e-mail Development Manager Ron Biava at firstname.lastname@example.org
2. What is a "sustaining membership"?
The best way to financially support New Orleans Public Radio is with an ongoing monthly contribution. When you make your initial pledge you will choose the monthly amount you would like to give. The monthly donation will automatically be pulled from your account until you contact the membership office to cancel. A sustaining membership never expires and you do not need to renew each year! This ensures sustainable support for the New Orleans Public Radio programs you depend on. For more information about becoming a sustainer, e-mail us at email@example.com or call 504-280-7002 (we'd love to hear from you)!
3. How to I cancel/change my monthly amount/update my information as a sustainer?
To cancel your sustaining membership (or to update any information including contact details or monthly donation amount) call or e-mail the membership team: 504-280-7002, firstname.lastname@example.org; Hallie Sheck Membership Manager (email@example.com); Sara Henegan Development Assistant (firstname.lastname@example.org).
*PLEASE NOTE* We are currently testing a personalized, online membership account (myWWNO) where you will be able to manage all changes, cancellations, and giving history at your convenience. We aim to launch this exciting new membership component soon. If you would like to be part of our Beta test, contact us at the membership department!
4. What is WWNO's federal tax identification number?
Please use the federal tax ID number of the UNO Foundation: 72-1051326. The UNO Foundation is registered as a tax-exempt educational and charitable organization under Section 501 (c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. It accepts and manages gifts on behalf of UNO and its departments, including WWNO New Orleans Public Radio. Be sure to indicate on your check or in accompanying documents that your gift is made "in support of WWNO."
5. When must I make a gift to qualify for an income tax deduction?
- By Mail: Postmarked by December 31.
- Online at wwno.org/donate: Using your credit card, complete the donation form on December 31.
- IRA Charitable Distribution: We must deposit your donation by December 31, so please send to us as early in the month as possible. Suggested deadline to mail: December 15.
- Car Donation: Complete the online donation form by December 31.
- Stock Donation: Consult your broker and complete the donation as early as possible in December.
- Donor-Advised Fund: Consult the administrator of your donor-adivsed fund, and complete the donation as early as possible in December. Also, if you are establishing a new fund, begin the process as soon as possible.
Thank you! Your choice to support New Orleans Public Radio is important to us! We will honor your stated intentions for your generosity as you intend. Please do reach out with any questions or with comments about the station in general -- your voice and support powers New Orleans Public Radio.
Development Team (we'd love to hear from you!):
Ronald Biava, Development and Marketing Manager: email@example.com; 504-280-7001
Hallie Sheck, Membership Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org; 504-280-7002
Sara Henegan, Development Assistant: email@example.com; 504-280-7002
WWNO - University of New Orleans
2000 Lakeshore Drive
New Orleans, LA 70148