Winter weather coming to southeast Louisiana: See forecast for metro Baton Rouge, New Orleans
Parts of southeast Louisiana should brace for icy rain starting Thursday and freezing temperatures until Monday. Affected areas will include the greater Baton Rouge region and the northshore of Lake Pontchartrain.
Can’t see the image below? Click here to see the image on the NWS New Orleans/Baton Rouge Twitter account.
In the image above, areas highlighted in purple should expect a glaze of icy precipitation from Thursday night to Friday morning. Image courtesy of the National Weather Service.
It’s expected to drop to just above freezing in New Orleans, but areas southeast of Lake Pontchartrain aren’t expected to get sleet or hail, National Weather Service Meteorologist Kevin Owens said.
Owens said that areas under the Thursday winter weather advisory can expect less than a tenth of an inch of freezing rain, freezing drizzle and sleet from Thursday night through late Friday morning. Friday’s high temperatures in the affected area will be in the mid-40s, with a slight chance of rain that afternoon.
“Basically, we’d be getting a glaze on bridges and the like,” Owens said. He advised residents to stay warm and to drive slowly on icy roads Friday morning.
Some cities north of Lake Pontchartrain are expected to see freezing temperatures Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights, but won’t experience icy precipitation again. Some forecasters also expect freezing temperatures in southeast Louisiana next Wednesday and Thursday nights.
Baton Rouge forecast
- Thursday: Cloudy with a daytime high in the low 50s; nighttime will drop to the low 30s with 30% chance of icy precipitation.
- Friday: Mostly cloudy with a daytime high in the mid-40s; nighttime low in the high 20s with no precipitation.
- Saturday: Sunny with a daytime high in the low 50s; nighttime low in the high 20s.
- Sunday: Partly cloudy with a daytime high in the mid 50s; nighttime low in the mid 30s.
New Orleans forecast
- Thursday: Daytime high in the low 60s with 60% chance of rain; nighttime low in the mid 30s with 50% chance of rain.
- Friday: Daytime high in the mid 40s with clouds and a 40% chance of rain before noon; nighttime low in the mid 30s with no precipitation.
- Saturday: Daytime high in the low 50s and sunny; nighttime low in the mid 30s.
- Sunday: Daytime high in the low 50s and mostly sunny; nighttime low in the high 30s.
Copyright 2022 WRKF. To see more, visit WRKF.