This week on The Reading Life: Susan talks with New Orleans Museum of Art curator Vanessa Schmid, about the new catalogue, “The Orleans Collection,” accompanying the exhibit currently on view at NOMA until January 27. We’ll also hear from Sally Asher about her very charming book, “The Mermaids of New Orleans.”
Here’s what’s on tap in the literary life this week:
Here in New Orleans:
- Writer Sally Asher and artist Melissa Vandiver sign “Mermaids of New Orleans,” Sunday, December 16, from 12:30-1:30 p.m. at the New Orleans Children’s Museum, 420 Julia Street.
- Shaina Monet and Athena Dixon appear at Pastries and Poets, Sunday, December 16, from 2-4 p.m. at the Dragonfly Poetry and Performance Ritual Space.
- Gina Ferrara hosts a Tricentennial Reading of poems about or written in New Orleans, Tuesday, December 18, from 5:30-7:30 at Latter Library.
- Visiting writer and poet Laura Goldstein presents a one-day writing workshop, Thursday, December 20, from 6:30-8:30 p.m. at the Dragonfly, 3921 St. Claude Ave.
- The New Orleans Museum of Art and the Frick Collection’s Center for the history of will host a two-day symposium, January 11-12, 2019, in conjunction with The Orleans Collection, an exhibition dedicated to the collecting and collection of Philippe II, Duke of Orléans (1674–1723) and on view at NOMA through January 27, 2019. For the complete schedule and to register, check out noma.org.
In Baton Rouge:
- Chef John Folse signs his many cookbooks, Friday, December 21, at 5 p.m. at Barnes & Noble/Citiplace.
- Johnny Anderson signs “Heal Before You Deal,” Saturday, December 22 at 1 p.m. at Barnes & Noble/Perkins Rowe.
- Kristi Guillory Reed signs her children’s book, “Harper Counts Her Blessings,” Saturday, December 22 at 5:30 p.m. at Barnes & Noble/ Perkins Rowe.
- Jeffrey Marx signs “Walking with Tigers, “Sunday, December 23 at noon at Barnes & Noble/Perkins Rowe.