This week on The Reading Life: Susan talks with children's author/illustrator Alexis Braud of Cut-off Louisiana, also known as "the Lafourche Raconteuse." Alexis has four books out this season – “Bayou Ballet,” “Gumbo: A Magical Bayou Tale,” “One Two, Rougarou,” and “Mardi Gras in Mobile.”
Here’s what’s on tap in the literary life this week:
- Alexis Braud signs her children’s books Sunday, December 2, from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. at the Rural Life Museum in Baton Rouge; Friday, December 7, at the
- Bonfire Festival at Nottaway Plantation in White Castle; Saturday, December 08, from 8 to noon at the Red Stick Farmers Market in Baton Rouge; and Sunday, December 9, from 9-5 at Christmas in the Country in St. Francisville.
- Sally Asher signs “Mermaids of New Orleans” and Poppy Tooker signs “Pascale’s Manale: A Family Tradition,” Sunday, December 2, from 12:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. at the Historic New Orleans Collection, and they both appear Saturday, December 8 from 2-3 p.m. at Octavia Books.
- J.T. Blatty signs “Fish Town: Down the Road to Louisiana’s Vanishing Fishing Communities,” Tuesday, December 4, at 6 p.m. at Octavia Books.
- The New Orleans Writers Workshop holds its fall social and open mike Tuesday, December 4, at 6 p.m. at the Mid-City Yacht Club, 440 St. Patrick St.
- S. Derby Gisclair signs “The Olympic Club of New Orleans: Epicenter of Professional Boxing, 1883-1897,” Wednesday, December 5, at 6 p.m. at Octavia Books.
- Come hear your favorite New Orleans peeps read from their favorite books at the Community Book Center Read-a-thon, Friday, December 7, from 7-10 p.m. and Saturday, December 8 from 10 a.m.-6 p.m. at Community Book center, 253 Bayou Rd.
- The 17th annual New Orleans Book Fair takes place Saturday, December 8, from 11 a.m.-5 p.m. at Gasa Gasa, 4920 Freret St.
- The Alvar Branch Library presents the In the Garden Writers Workshop Saturday, December 8, at 2 p.m. at the Alvar Branch Library, Participants will meet the second Saturday of every month from September 2018 through May 2019. The program is facilitated by staff member Henri Fourroux who writes and publishes poetry, and staff member Sara Jacobelli who writes and publishes short stories. Writers of all levels are welcome. Local and visiting authors will stop by periodically to read their work and share writing tips.
- Photographer Josephine Sacabo discusses and signs her two new books, “Lux Perpetua” and “Beyond Thought, “Saturday, December 8, from 4-7 p.m. at Nadine Blake, 1036 Royal St.
- Poets and musicians Michael Rothenberg, Bob Malone, Evan Christopher and Chuck Perkins perform Saturday, December 8, at 6 p.m. at Café Istanbul. There is an admission charge.
- And coming up: One Book One New Orleans has announced that the selection for 2019 is Zachary Lazar’s Vengeance. Start reading now!