This week on The Reading Life: Susan talks with University of New Orleans emeritus professor of English Kris Lackey, author of “Greasy Bend,” the latest in the police procedural series featuring Hannah Bond and Bill Maytubby. We’ll also hear from Agnes Gomillion, author of the Afro-futurist dystopian novel, “The Record Keeper.”
July 7 calendar:
Here’s what’s on tap in the literary life this week.
Here in New Orleans:
- Lee Ledbetter discusses and signs “The Art of Place: Architecture and Interiors,” Tuesday, July 9, at 6:30 p.m. at the Hubbell Library in Algiers.
- Cecilia Dartez brings her Jenny Giraffe character to the library for story time, Wednesday, July 10, at 11 a.m. at the Smith branch Library.
- David Roll discusses and signs “George Marshall: Defender of the Republic,” Wednesday, July 10 at 6 p.m. at the National World War II Museum. Reception at 5, discussion at 6, signing at 7.
- Robert Azzarello discusses and signs “Three Hundred Years of Decadence: New Orleans Literature and the Trans-Atlantic World,” Thursday, July 11, at 6 p.m. at the Rosa Keller Library and Community Center.
- Sybil Haydel Morial discusses her memoir, “Witness to Change: From Jim Crow to Political Empowerment,” Thursday, July 11, at 6 p.m. at the New Orleans Jazz Museum, 400 Esplanade. This is part of the Friends of the Cabildo Second Thursday Lecture series.
- Author Kami Garcia, and illustrator Gabriel Picolo appear in conversation with Alys Arden to discuss their new graphic novel, “Teen Titans: Raven,” Thursday, July 11, at 6 p.m. at Garden District Book Shop.
- The Octavia Books Science Fiction Book Club discusses “The Bees,” by Laline Paull, Saturday, July 13, at 10:30 a.m. at Octavia Books.
- Today’s guest, Agnes Gomillion, discusses and signs “The Record Keeper,” Sunday, July 14, at 2 p.m. at Octavia Books.
- Jessie Morgan-Owens discusses and signs ‘Girl in Black and White: The Story of Mary Margaret Williams and the Abolition Movement,” Sunday, July 14, at 2 p.m. at the Smith Branch of the New Orleans Public Library.
- Today’s guest, Kris Lackey, discusses and signs “Greasy Bend,” Tuesday, July 16, at 6 p.m. at Garden district Book Shop.
- Kathy Crighton discusses her novel, “The New Normal,” Thursday, July 11, at 12:30 p.m. at the Council on Aging St. Tammany Activity Center, 19404 10th St., Covington.