This week on The Reading Life: Sister Helen Prejean, whose new book is “River of Fire: My Spiritual Journey.”
Here’s what’s on tap in the literary life this week:
Here in New Orleans:
- Poppy Tooker discusses and signs “Drag Queen Brunch,” Wednesday, September 4, at 7 p.m. at the East Bank Regional Library.
- David Shannon discusses and signs his new picture book, “Mr. Nogginbody Gets a Hammer,” Thursday, September 5, at 4:45 p.m. at Octavia Books.
- Nicole Eiden, Kelly Harris, and Skye Jackson read their work at the Poetry Buffet, hosted by Gina Ferrara, Saturday, September 7, at 2 p.m. at Latter Library.
Coming up later this month:
- Blue Cypress Books hosts a sneak peek at coming fiction: Jami Attenberg reads from "All This Could Be Yours," due out in November, and Katy Simpson Smith reads from "The Everlasting," coming in March on Thursday, September 19, at 6 p.m. at Blue Cypress Books.
- Letters Read, curated by Nancy Sharon Collins, presents a reading from the letters of the Baroness Pontalba, Wednesday, September 25, at 5:30 at the State Museum, 701 Chartres.
- And Happy Birthday, Mr. Faulkner runs September 24 -26 at the Cabildo and the Hotel Peter and Paul. The theme for 2019 is The American Experience in Literature and Life, and includes a talk by Faulkner biographer Jay Parini. The Big Read author for the event is Tayari Jones, author of “An American Marriage,” who will appear in conversation with Maurice Carlos Ruffin, author of “We Cast a Shadow. “The featured Faulkner title is “The Wild Palms.” For more information and complete schedule go to faulknersociety.org.