The Reading Life with Mark Yakich, John Biguenet and Rosary O’Neill
This week on The Reading Life: Susan talks with Mark Yakich and John Biguenet, co-editors of “Interviews from the Edge: 50 Years of Conversations about Writing and Resistance,” an anthology of great work from The New Orleans Review. And Rosary O’Neill, co-author with Rory O’Neill Schmitt, talks about “New Orleans Voodoo: A Cultural History.”
Here’s what’s on tap in the literary life this week:
- And great news for Jazzfest: after a one-year hiatus, the book tent is back! Book displays will be housed in the Grandstand, near the Cultural Exhibits. It will be a smaller space, but there will be many of the traditional Jazz Fest favorites, along with new titles by local authors, and book signings. The Book Nook, as it's called now, is sponsored by the New Orleans Gulf South Booksellers Association.
- Timothy Duffy talks about “Blue Muse: Timothy Duffy’s Southern Photographs” with NOMA photography curator Russell Lord, Tuesday, April 30, at 6 p.m. at Octavia Books.
- Doug Segal discusses his book “Struck: A Husband’s Memoir of Trauma and Triumph,” Tuesday, April 30, at 7 p.m. at the Uptown Jewish Community Center, 5342 St. Charles Ave.
- Six local poets – Esme Franklin, Benjamin Aleshire, author of “Currency,” Elizabeth Gross, author of “this body/that lightning show,” Brad Richard, author of “Parasite Kingdom,” Benjamin Morris, author of “Coronary,” and Cassie Pruyn, author of “Lena” -- discuss and read their work at 7 p.m., Tuesday, April 30, at the East Bank Regional Library, 4747 W. Napoleon, Metairie.
- Paul Pastorek discusses “The Vanishing Louisiana Wild Iris,” Wednesday, May 1 at 10 a.m. at the East Bank regional Library in Metairie at the meeting of the Friends of the Jefferson Public Library.
- Helen Ellis discusses her book “Southern Lady Code: Essays” with writer Julia Reed, Wednesday, May 1, at 6 p.m. at Garden district book Shop.
- Chris Perondi discusses and signs “The Big Book of Tricks for the Best Dog Ever,” along with cover dog Vinny Valentino, Wednesday, May 1, at 6 p.m. at Octavia Books.
- Georgia Hunter discusses and signs “We Were the Lucky Ones,” as part of the Jewish Community Center’s Community Wide Holocaust Memorial Program, Sunday, May 5, at 6:30 p.m. at the Uptown Jewish Community Center, 5342 St. Charles Ave.
- The West Feliciana Parish Children’s Book Festival takes place all day Saturday, May 4, at St. Francisville. Check out the complete schedule atconundrumbooks.com.
- There are only a few tickets left for the sixth annual Walker Percy Weekend in St. Francisville, starting Friday, May 31, through Sunday, June 2, with panels, an exhibition of Walker Percy photos, and other events throughout the town’s historic district, with of course, lots of bourbon on hand. Watch for the complete schedule at Conundrumbooks.com.