This week on The Reading Life: Susan talks with Seattle-based writer and editor Nancy Penrose, the co-author, with Angela Gregory, of “A Dream and a Chisel: Louisiana Sculptor Angela Gregory in Paris, 1925-1928.”
Here’s what’s on tap in the literary life this week:
Here in New Orleans:
- Filmmaker and author Anthony J. Rockwell discusses “The Power of Life: A Story about Tragedy to Triumph,” Monday, February 4, at 7 p.m. at the East Bank Regional Library in Metairie.
- Peter Cooley and daughter Nicole Cooley discuss and read from their poetry collections, Thursday, February 7, at 7 p.m. Thursday at the East Bank Regional Library in Metairie.
- Nancy Penrose discusses and signs “A Dream and a Chisel: Louisiana Sculptor Angela Gregory in Paris, 1925-1928” in New Orleans Tuesday February 12, at 6 p.m. Octavia Books, in New Orleans; Tuesday, February 19, 2019, at 6:30 p.m. at the Woldenberg Art Center, Freeman Auditorium, Tulane University, and Thursday, February 21, 2019, at 6 p.m. Dominican High School.
- Ashley Young facilitates a workshop, “Writing Memoir Through Ancestral Narratives,” Mondays in February from 6:30-9 p.m. at the Dragonfly, St. Claude Ave. For registration and tuition information email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The friends of the New Orleans Public Library are sponsoring the Inaugural Alvar Zine Contest. 2019's theme is Mardi Gras. Make a zine about Carnival history, a story taking place during Mardi Gras, a personal memory, or a reflection on how the season makes you feel. To enter, submit a print copy of your zine to any New Orleans Public Library location. Electronic submissions, including your name, e-mail or phone number, and an attachment of your zine, may be submitted to email@example.com. The winner will receive a $50 Visa gift card and will have 100 copies of their zine printed and distributed at the New Orleans Comics and Zine Festival in April. All entries received will be added to the Alvar Zine Library. The winner will be notified on Monday, April 1.
In Baton Rouge:
- Nancy Penrose discusses and signs “A Dream and a Chisel: Louisiana Scuplptor Angela Gregory in Paris, 1925-1928,” Rouge Thursday, February 7, at 6 p.m., at the Watermark Hotel, The Gregory Restaurant, 150 3rd Street; Sunday, February 10, at 3 p.m., East Baton Rouge Parish Library; Thursday, February 14, at Noon at the West Baton Rouge Museum in Port Allen.
In St. Francisville:
- Conundrum Books presents The 2019 Writers and Readers symposium, which takes place Saturday, February 16, from 9 a.m.-4 p.m. at the Hemingbough Convention Center in St. Francisville. The featured speakers are state poet laureate Jack Bedell, Jason Berry, Alysson Foti Bourque, Dima Ghawi, C.H. Lawler and Erica Spindler. Includes a day of presentations and lunch with authors. Tickets are available at Bontempstix.com.